Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stitched Together

(My) life is like a patchwork quilt. 
 
Each day is a different material, some happy, some drab, some vibrant, some tattered, some beautiful, some a combination of all of these things.
 
Each day is stitched together with a long thread, woven in and out, overtime connecting the days into a patchwork of years. 
 
I love that my sewing literalizes my life. Like life, sewing is about dreaming, planning, cutting apart, stitching together and creating.
 
I love all of my sewing projects (well, most of them!), but there is something so satisfying and balancing about making a quilt. For the last couple of months, I have been working on a quilt for a little girl made of upcycled clothing from her first year. I have loved the puzzle of this project, taking apart a myriad of tiny outfits, laying them out, layering them, stitching them together and finding the perfect balance.
 
Custom quilt made with upcycled clothing from a little girl's first year of life
(My) life is like a patchwork quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment